Sunday, December 17, 2017

Recipe - Pumpkin Pie

Recipe for Pumpkin Pie

There are tons of recipes for pumpkin pie.  There's nothing too far off about this one.  It's a combination of other recipes I've worked with along the way.  I make the pie crust from scratch, but use canned pumpkin.  It's heavy in spices unlike most store bought bland beyond belief pies.



One thing I've learned over the years is the term Season to Taste. It's important to remember when cooking.  If you don't like the recipe the way it is, you are free to change it.  If you don't like the idea of allspice, you can remove it or substitute.  If you don't like ginger, don't add it.

WARNING: There are vastly different qualities of spices. If you get a cheap bargain brand cinnamon and nutmeg, you may want to add a little extra unless you hate flavor. If you get a high quality Saigon cinnamon, you can always cut the amount you add.  Up to you.

Note on spices:  I usually dump in more than I have written down here, but that's just me.

I bake my pies in glass pie pans because I believe it cooks them the most evenly and doesn't interfere with the flavor.

Pie Crust
I made the recipe for pie crust a separate blog post.  You can find it here: http://ryallon.blogspot.com/2017/12/recipe-pie-crust.html

Pie filling Ingredients
(This is for a single pie, I usually double to make 2 pies)

1. Pumpkin: 15oz or 16oz can (alternatively, you can scrape out and puree a real pumpkin if you're a purist or a masochist)
2. Sugar: 2/3 cup
3. Cinnamon: 1tbsp
4. Nutmeg: 1tsp
5. Ginger: 1/2tsp
6. Cloves: 1/4tsp
7. Allspice: 1/4tsp
8. Pumpkin Pie spice: 1tbsp (Okay, let's be honest here. Pumpkin pie spice is literally all of the above spices in one.  There is absolutely no reason you can't do just pumpkin pie spice, or just the other ingredients. It is redundant to use both.  However, I use both and my pies are awesome, so nyah.)
9. Eggs: 2 large
10. Evaporated Milk: 1 can

Directions 

0. Preheat oven to 400º
1. Combine pumpkin, sugar and spices in a separate bowl.
2. Beat eggs in your primary bowl
3. Fold in pumpkin/spice mix and then beat with a whisk until mixed.
4. Gradually stir in evaporated milk until you have a creamy mix.
5. Pour into pie crust.
6. Cover edges with tinfoil to prevent burning of crust and outer filling.


7. Bake in 400º oven for 50 minutes.
8. Remove foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.


Happy eating!

John H. Carroll

No comments: