Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Poetry - "Table for One" or "Would You Like to Come to Dinner?"

Inspiration

I decided to become a writer back in 1991 when I was 21. Writing a book seemed like an imposing task and before I did so, I thought I would see whether or not I had any talent at all. I wrote about 50 poems to start with. Looking back at them now, I wonder how I came to the conclusion that I did have talent. *grin*
I saw a beautiful spider web one morning. My first poem was . . . well . . . poetic. Then I decided to write a humorous version. This is the second. 

"Table for One" or "Would You Like to Come to Dinner?"

Sitting at a table for one
All alone in the center
A round silken table suspended in air
Mrs. Spider is the master of her domain
Mrs. Spider is happy
She will have many children to feed soon
Mr. Spider is no longer with us
Mrs. Spider was hungry
Mr. Fly is hungry
Let’s visit Mrs. Spider
Maybe she will have something to eat
She will now
Mrs. Ladybug is sociable
Let’s visit Mrs. Spider
Maybe she will have news or gossip
No, but she’ll have a new meal to gobble
My, my, so many coming to dinner
Mrs. Spider is having a feast
Everyone can come to the big meal
Not many can leave
Mr. Young Boy is in a bad mood
He doesn’t like Mrs. Spider
Mr. Young Boy is such a party crasher
So Long Mrs. Spider

Copyright 1991 John H. Carroll

No comments: